First Family Night
This is the mid-week ministry program of First United Methodist Church. Adults meet for a free dinner and fellowship at 5:30pm, followed by a variety of Bible studies, book studies and hobby groups. Children in PreK-5th grade gather for a meal of their own, attend a children’s praise and worship service, and then break out into age groups for engaging, high-energy and hands-on experiences designed to teach biblical values and the truth of who Jesus is in a way that is relevant to children. Junior High Youth (6th-8th grade) meet year-round on Wednesdays from 5:50-7:30pm for youth group.
Join us during Lent to study “The Way, Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus”. We will travel with Adam Hamilton as he retraces the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. Using historical information, archaeological data, and stories of the faith, Hamilton follows in the footsteps of Jesus from his baptism to the temptations to the heart of his ministry, including the people he loved, the parables he taught, the enemies he made, and the healing he brought. The forty days of devotions will enable you to pause, meditate, and emerge changed forever. The reflections include Scripture, reflection, stories from Hamilton’s own ministry, and prayers.
Several of our Sunday School Classes and our Emerge Student Ministries will study The Way as part of a 40-day church-wide emphasis. This 40-day focus will help you grow deeper in your faith and learn more about the life of Christ as you study weekly with a small group and then spend time daily reading and reflecting upon the Scriptures.
For more information contact the church at 417-532-7153.
Sunday School Classes & Bible Studies
*Class descriptions coming soon*
Bible 101 – Mixed ages – Room 111
Builders – 50 Years and older – Room 112
By the Book – Individuals and couples with school age and younger children – Room 224
Celebrate Jesus – Mixed ages – Room 124
Heritage – Mixed ages – Room 116
Mr. and Mrs. – Mixed ages – Room 127
Positive Seekers – Empty nesters – Room 223
Sonshine – Mixed ages – Rooms 122/123
Still Learning – Mixed ages – 113
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
If you are experiencing life difficulties such as grief, divorce, illness, job loss, loneliness, disability, relocation, or other difficulties, you do not have to face the challenges alone. Stephen Ministers are trained lay caregivers who are available to offer high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care and support as long as the need persists. Please contact Beth Hargrave at 417.532.7153 for more information.
United Methodist Men
“Helping men grow in Christ, so others may know Christ.”
United Methodist Men meet together on the 4th Thursday of every month at 6pm for dinner, fellowship and prayer. Men of all ages are invited to join UMM in assisting all men to engage the process of spiritual growth. For more information, please contact Jon Blair at 417.532.7153. You may also visit www.gcumm.org for more information on the mission and ministry of UMM.
United Methodist Women
What is UMW about?
United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
This community of women is:
- Centered in relationship with God through Jesus Christ
- Focused on ministries with women, children and youth
- Involved in mission locally and globally
- Committed to inclusiveness
- Pledged to provide financial support to for mission through undesignated giving
- Engaged in the development and use of skills for service. leadership and personal growth
- Encouraged to work with other organizations on issues of mutual concern
When does UMW meet?
The UMW General Meeting gathers on the 1st Wednesday of every other month, beginning with January, at 11:00am.
What small groups does UMW offer?
UMW Circles meet monthly in small groups to carry out the work and purpose of the United Methodist Women.
- Susanna Circle meets the 1st Thursday of every month at 6:30pm. Contact: Nancy Erickson.
- Jill-of-All-Trades & Crafts: The Quilting circle meets every Wednesday at 9am. Beginners welcome. Contact: Rosalie Carey.
The Crafts circle meets the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month, 9-11am. Contact: Joan Arthur.
- Mary Martha Circle meets the 3rd Wednesday of every month at 1:30pm. Contact: Leslie Likens.
- Morning Joy Circle meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 9:15am. Contact: Shirley Park.
- Wesleyan Circle meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 1:30pm. Contact: Neva Jones.
- Junia Circle (Sleeper UMC Unit) meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 6:30pm. Contact: Dr. Jenny Powell.