History of First UMC Lebanon
The Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized in Lebanon in 1855 and built a building in 1884 on Bland Avenue. A few years later it was relocated to the corner of Adams and Commercial Streets. The Methodist Episcopal Church of Lebanon was permanently organized in the spring of 1870 with thirteen charter members, and a building was built at Third and Madison later that year. After the national unification of Methodism in 1939, these two congregations began the process that was to lead to their merger in 1941. At this time, “First United Methodist Church of Lebanon” was formed through their union and the combined congregations worshiped in the Madison Street building.
The present educational building was built in 1947 when more Sunday School classrooms were needed. In 1961, ground was broken for our present sanctuary and all the stained glass windows from the sanctuary were installed in the new building. Our continuing growth demanded more space for Sunday School and fellowship and so, in 1990, the Robert G. Mayfield Family Life Center was built. The Family Life Center is named in honor of Bob Mayfield, a beloved brother in Christ who was a long-time citizen of Lebanon with a distinguished career of service to his church, his nation and his community.
After more than 125 years, the Methodist Church continues to thrive in Lebanon, offering a friendly place of worship and a wellspring of opportunities through which to serve God and our community.